Sunday, May 1, 2011

Allegheny Creamery and Crepes



This weekend, the kids and I had a quick supper at our local crepe shop. Why, a local crepe shop, you say? How urbane! Well, this isn't just any hick Pennsyltucky town!

I had my first crepe the summer I ran away from home and lived at the beach in Rehoboth, DE; my mother was horrified. There was a tiny crepe shop called Cafe Papillion in the walkway where I worked in a gift shop. After my shift, I would stop and try new flavors of sweet and savory crepes. I was very taken with my sophisticated self, living on my own (sort of ) and eating French cuisine (again, sort of). I miss those days!


Penny Lane in Rehoboth Beach

Even though we had donuts for breakfast and Mickey Dee's for lunch, I like to expose my kids to other kinds of foods and restaurants. And only because we had had such a crazy day (selling tickets for Meg's dance recital, getting dance pictures taken, Ethan's belt rank testing for taekwondo and a jr. high percussion concert to complete the insanity) did I take them out to eat thrice. This is why we hit the crepe shop. And I was feeling nostalgic.




Meg does not like crepes, so she chose soup and salad. Orzo and spinach chicken soup with mixed curly greens and homemade ranch dressing.


Ethan chose a Nutella and banana crepe with chocolate milk.


I had my fave; a blueberry with orange ricotta cheese crepe.

This crepe shop sells ice cream from a local dairy, so we ended our meal with a scoop of Graham Cracker Crumb Cheesecake ice cream. Every thing was so fresh and tasty. This was exactly the break we needed.

We also took advantage of a another feature dear to our hearts: a Book Crossing. This shelf has a little sign that directs patrons to borrow, read, return, or replace. All housed on a killer bookcase that I would like to have at home. We enjoyed our meal in silence, all three paging through a new read.


Here's a link to an article in our local paper that was published when the shop opened:

No comments:

Post a Comment