Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Burnt Cabins Grist Mill



So, we are off camping with much of the whole fam-damily, excepting for my brothers' family and my husband Matt who couldn't get off of work to go with me, the dog, my mom and dad, my sister and brother-in-law, and four kids ranging from 2 years to 11 years. Oh, and a snake.


Yeah. We'll get to that later.


First, another 'geocaching is so great, it takes me places I never would have seen' type post. You're welcome!

This is the Burnt Cabins Grist Mill. There was a multi-cache (a two-stage geocache) here, so we headed out. We were pleasantly surprised to find not only a working grist mill, but a campground and small store selling their own flour and cornmeal, as well as hand dipped ice cream.


Pappy told the kids how members of our family brought one of the first millstones
over the Allegheny Mountains to found the Edwards Feed Mill. God love 'em, is all I have to say, DRIVING Rt 30 over the Allegheny Mountains is bad enough, without having to spur mules carrying a very large and heavy stone over the non-existant roads.



Ethan, at stage two of the geocache.

We wound up getting ice cream and some items to use for making fried zucchini and shish kabobs that we had for supper that night. The pumpkin butter was tres yummy.




The darkening skies should have been a portent of what we were to find in the cabin when we got back from our innocent jaunt amuck around the countryside....

Coming soon: Snakes in a Cabin


No comments:

Post a Comment